As you near retirement, it’s worthwhile to consider where you want to live. While some people are happy to stay in their existing home, others... Read More »
One of the bonuses of living in a Dallas TX retirement community in the winter is that there’s less chance of daily snow and ice. However, winter weather, even in Texas, is nothing to ignore. Plus, with all of the holiday excesses, it’s easy to put our health on hold. However, if you follow these five tips, you should be welcoming spring feeling hearty and hale.
- Wash Your Hands. Of course you wash your hands throughout the day, but during the cold and flu season it is important to wash your hands more frequently than usual. You don’t want to get sick, but you also don’t want to pass anything along to someone else, especially when you’ll likely be around more people at holiday parties. Consider putting a small bottle of hand sanitizer in your pocket or handbag for those times when you can’t get to soap and water.
- Plan and Prepare Your Meals. You’ll probably be going to more parties this holiday season and it’s easy just to make do with the buffets and snacks that are set out. However, all of that rich food that doesn’t necessarily contain a lot of vegetables can leave you feeling sluggish at best. Try to plan or even prepare meals in advance so that you have a healthy meal, even on the busiest of days. Similarly, try to eat a healthy meal before you head out to a party so you’re not as likely to fill up on unhealthy snacks.
- Drive Safely. The traffic in Dallas is challenging at the best of times, and during the holidays, it can become even busier. Leave yourself plenty of time to get where you’re going so you don’t feel rushed and lose patience. This is extra important if the weather is bad.
- Alternate Water and Wine. Whatever your alcoholic drink of choice is, make sure you follow it with a glass of water, particularly if you’re at a neighbor’s Christmas or New Year’s party. Of course, if you’re driving, don’t drink at all. It’s not worth the risk. However, by drinking a glass of water between alcoholic drinks, you’ll stay more hydrated and less likely to feel the effects the next morning.
- Go Outside and Play. The Ladera Dallas TX retirement community is full of wonderful walking paths, so as long as the weather isn’t bad, simply bundle up and go for a nice walk. It will help burn off some of those extra holiday treats and it’s simply a good idea to stay active. Plan to meet up with friends for a nice walk each day and it will feel like fun!
As always, moderation is one of the best ways to stay healthy during this festive and generous season. Enjoy the chocolate, cookies, eggnog, and other favorite treats; just try not to splurge too much.Tags: best retirement communities in Dallas TX, dallas retirement communties, dallas retirement homebuilder, dallas retirement homes for sale
This post was written by Ladera Texas